1. Home
Cross Stitch & Needlework Magazine is one of my favorite stitchery magazines. It is one of the few I subscribe to each year. I purchase others from the bookstore sometimes, but I don't want to miss an issue of Cross Stitch & Needlework Magazine.

I received the May 2007 issue today, and despite my chagrin at finding that the issue had been damaged en route, the designs and articles soon captivated me. I ended up sitting in front of the house in the car until I had flipped through the entire issue.

One chart that jumped out at me was a lovely hummingbird design created by Pamela Kellogg. The design combines cross stitch with beads and charms. Pamela's talent at using color to create detail is evident.

With articles and designs from leading Cross Stitch experts, the magazine is a great addition to any stitcher's library. Learn more about Cross Stitch & Needlework Magazine, including where to find subscription information.

What is your favorite Cross Stitch Magazine of all time? In print or out of print? (I still mourn the passing of Leisure Arts For the Love of Cross Stitch.) Use the comments button below to tell us about your favorite magazines, past or present.

Comments

March 17, 2007 at 1:21 pm
(1) Jackie says:

I loved Cross Stitch & Country Crafts. It was the first and only magazine I subscribed to for 15yrs. I was very disappointed when BH&G took it over. It was never the same after that.

March 25, 2007 at 7:04 pm
(2) Connie says:

Remember when BH&G published “Treasures in Needlework”? It was my favorite but it sure didn’t last very long. I also liked “Counted Cross Stitch Needlewords” published by Ginnie Thompson.

March 26, 2007 at 7:05 am
(3) Connie G. Thomas says:

I really enjoyed Treasures in Needlework too. I don’t recall running across Ginnie’s magazine, but I am sure it was great!

February 6, 2009 at 9:12 am
(4) Kathy says:

I too mourn the passing of For The Love of Cross Stitch. It was the best and I made many of the projects from it.

March 30, 2009 at 8:04 pm
(5) Shirley Kelly says:

I just came across a bunch of For The Love of Cross Stitch magazines I had dating back to 1992! I haven’t done cross stitch for years but after looking through all the subscriptions I found myself yearning to go out to my favorite craft store and stocking up on every color floss I can find and some Aida cloth and get busy.

March 30, 2009 at 8:41 pm
(6) Connie G. Barwick, About.com Cross Stitch Guide says:

Go for it! It’s like riding a bicycle – all you have to do is pick up the needle and you will be stitching like you never put it down!

April 5, 2009 at 1:18 pm
(7) Vyrianna Lycorne says:

Currently my favorite cross stitch magazine would have to be Cross Stitch Gold from the UK. Which I typically find at Barnes & Nobles. While there appears to be a decline in the popularity of the craft in the US, it appears to be going strong in the UK currently.

April 22, 2009 at 12:42 pm
(8) Peggy says:

Can you tell me the last issue date of Love of Cross Stitch? I’m trying to complete my collection.

December 29, 2009 at 9:17 pm
(9) Shirley Brown says:

Looking for the Love of Cross stitch magazine, Nov. 1990 If anyone has it please contact me

January 3, 2010 at 5:18 pm
(10) Marie says:

My favorite has always been “the Cross Stitcher” since l994 when a friend gave me a subscription for Christmas. So much I would like to do, just not enough time.

February 8, 2010 at 7:50 pm
(11) Krista says:

3 years ago I came home to a box of cross stitch magazine left on my front porch! I was in heaven, we had just moved to town (back to my small home town) I thought what a great welcome present, turns out they were from a lady at my friends church. Inside the box were many different magazines but the one I was drawn to, was Stoney Creek, I saved my christmas money the next year from my grandma to purchase my subscription. I’ve just renewed for my second year!

February 25, 2010 at 5:14 pm
(12) Julie says:

Does anyone have a copy of “For the Love of Cross stitich” September (it was the first one after the priemer issue) not sure of the year. There was a checker board with bunnies on wheels or somethig like that. main colors were red & black. I loaned the magazine to a”friend” who never returned it. I’d love to get a copy of the project. Thanks for any help or info.

May 6, 2010 at 2:11 pm
(13) Rochelle says:

I’m looking for a small project in “For The Love Of Cross Stitch” magazine with the phrase “The road to a friend’s house is never long”. I think it’s in a 1998 issue. I have a picture of the finished project, but I need the pattern. If anyone has any idea which issue it’s in, please let me know. Thanks!!!

May 13, 2010 at 9:04 pm
(14) Elizabeth says:

I am looking for a project from For the Love of Cross Stitch September 1994. It says I love Dinosaurs across the bottom with several dinasours above the words. Thanks.

June 1, 2010 at 8:18 pm
(15) Janice says:

I am looking for a pattern from The Love of Crossstitch magazine, it was of an alphabet made of different tools.

August 25, 2010 at 3:41 pm
(16) karen says:

i have some old “for love of cross stitch “. “just cross stitch” magazines that I need to let go of to make more needed space since mom moved in with me. would love to find a new home for them. any takers ?

September 6, 2010 at 5:35 pm
(17) Katrin says:

I also have a good-sized collection of cross-stitch magazines – “For the Love of Cross Stitch,” “Cross Stitch & Country Crafts”/”Cross Stitch & Needlework,” “The Needleworker,” “Piece Work,” and “Just Cross Stitch.” I don’t need them anymore, but I’m reluctant to dispose of them in the recycling because I picture some stitchers out there who are desperately trying to find precisely that magazine! I don’t have the time or inclination to sell them on eBay. Any suggestions for connecting with someone who’d like these magazines?

September 13, 2010 at 1:47 pm
(18) Terry says:

I would love to any past issue of “For the love of cross-stich that I can get.

I have totally lost all my issues.

plz contact me

Terry

October 3, 2010 at 9:29 pm
(19) Pat says:

Hi
I also miss For the love of Cross Stitch…I have been looking for the issue with the trains in it. I have the March 1992 issue with “The General” in it but I would really love the issue with “The 440 Washington” in it. I believe it is in the January 1992 issue of For the love of Cross Stitch.If anybody has it I am really interested in getting the mag. Thank you
Pat

October 18, 2010 at 9:33 pm
(20) Kim says:

Pat, I am working on the 440 Washington right now. I have been looking through all of my old For the Love of Cross stitch magazines and have been doing a lot of projects from them lately. I plan on make The General next. I could send you a copy of The 440 Washington if you’d like. Maybe you know what issue this pattern was in, I have it finished except for the outlining and I can’t find the magazine. It’s a teddy bear, hat boxes, a heart and a rabbit on wheels.

November 9, 2010 at 3:32 pm
(21) Pamela says:

Does anyone have the recipe for the coconut cream pie that was in For the Love Of Cross Stitch?

April 8, 2011 at 11:38 am
(22) Emily says:

My favorites were For the Love of Cross Stitch and Cross Stitch & Country Crafts. Unfortunately I didn’t start stitching until my teens, when they were already out of print, but my grandmother passed me all of hers when she passed. I am currently working on some of the stockings from Cross Stitch & Country Crafts and am scouring any magazines/patterns books, etc for something similar, and can’t find anything!

June 1, 2011 at 12:06 pm
(23) Lizzie says:

Can anyone tell me when ‘For the love of cross stitch’ magazine stoped being printed ?
I want to complete my collection. So far I have up to July 98 and many of the others up to Nov 2002 but would love to know when it stopped being printed.

September 30, 2011 at 1:09 pm
(24) Marie Lewis says:

I am looking for just the santa collection patterns out of the November 1992 issue and the September 1992 issue. Does anybody happen to have just them. The September one is the Old World Santa and the November is the Father Christmas. If anybody has them that would be great. Please let me know.

October 1, 2011 at 6:08 pm
(25) Tina Croul says:

Did Lizzie’s #(23), comment ever get answered as to when “For the Love of Cross Stitch magazine” quit being printed, I am also curious, thanks

October 3, 2011 at 4:51 am
(26) Connie G. Barwick, About.com Cross Stitch Guide says:

The last issue I have in my collection is January 2003. I was a subscriber and that was the last issue I got. Not a definitive answer, but the best I can do. There may have been more after that – perhaps someone else can help us out.

October 6, 2011 at 12:22 pm
(27) Linda says:

I recently purchased a large stack of For the Love of Cross Stitch magazines from 1989-into the early ’90s. November 1989 (page 27) shows the winners of a contest. I would luv to be able to get the counted cross stitch pattern for the second prize winner “Thankful Hearts” wall hanging by Jorgene Wilson of Heber City, UT.

Can anyone help?

December 1, 2011 at 9:34 am
(28) Laurie says:

Does anyone have the calendar, “A Stitch in Time,” 1989, that was advertised in For the Love of Cross Stitch? I just bought a lot of 18 back issues of FTLCS, and saw the advertisement–I know I used to have it, but it’s long lost, now. Thanks!.

As a matter of interest, a few of the designs from the magazine are now available for download on the Leisure Arts website.

For those of you looking for patterns–I’ll check my magazines when I get home and let you know if I can help!

December 11, 2011 at 6:57 am
(29) Patricia Soykut says:

Treasures in Needlework, Fall 1992….I have completed three-quarters of a beautiful project from this magazine and am missing the page with directions for the rest!! If anyone has this magazine, I would gladly buy it from you. patriciasoykut@gmail.com. Thanks for looking!

April 25, 2012 at 3:53 pm
(30) Pauline says:

Looking for the following cross stich graphs from a Christmas cross stitch magazine, circa 1989 – one of the pieces finished was on the cover: The Magi, Road to Bethlehem, Madonna and Child, and Herald Angel. All were done in a stained glass background motif. The graphs are pagr sized and all appeared in the same magazine. I have the graphs but not the floss guide. I have been told that the magazine has been discontinued but don;t have the magazine name. Any help?