1. Home

What Scissor Brand Do You Prefer?

By September 21, 2009

I usually post a poll on Monday, but this week, I want to gather information. It's sort of a pre-poll fact-finding mission as it were.

My question is (as you may have already guessed) "What scissor brand do you prefer?" Is it Gingher, Fiskars, or Dovo? Or, is there another brand you like? Maybe you don't really care, but if you know of a brand I left out, let me know! I use a variety of brands, so I can't really say I have a preference. I do want to include as many brands as possible when I create my poll though so I need your help.

What brands do you use/prefer? Use the comments section below to share them with us. And watch for a poll on this topic, coming soon.

Comments

September 21, 2009 at 7:13 am
(1) Wendy says:

I don’t have a preference for the brand of scissors I use when stitching.

September 21, 2009 at 8:37 am
(2) stitchathome says:

I use mainly Gingher.

September 21, 2009 at 8:39 am
(3) LizM says:

Fiskars has long been my favorite but recently I’ve discovered Kobalt scissors. Kobalt makes power tools and I found the scissors while wandering a home improvement store while my DH shopped. They are working better than even my Fiskar brand scissors. I’ll definitely be buying Kobalt in the future.

September 21, 2009 at 8:53 am
(4) Tomm;ye says:

DOVO Best scissors I’ve ever used…and I collect scissors.

September 21, 2009 at 11:07 am
(5) Heather says:

Dovos all the way!!!

September 21, 2009 at 11:10 am
(6) barbara rynn says:

cutco knives makes really good scissors. I’ve been using them for years

September 21, 2009 at 1:19 pm
(7) Heatherle says:

Gingher for all my sewing and needle work

September 21, 2009 at 2:45 pm
(8) Linda says:

I have used Gingher since the early 70′s. Before that was Singer and Wiss. I have used others, but rely on my Ginghers for sewing/stitching.

September 23, 2009 at 10:30 am
(9) Marion BE says:

I had to have a look to see what the brand was of my “good” scissors — Serra Sharp by Mundia. I used to use any old pair of scissors, but then my S.O. gave me a pair he’d bought at a sewing shop as a present. They’re far heavier and cut fabric like a dream. They only get used for quilting and sewing, never paper projects!

September 23, 2009 at 10:32 am
(10) JackieS says:

I am a die hard Gingher user for stithing. I have 2 pair of Liontail Ginghers that I use and a 41/2″ pair that I use with my sewing machine.

September 23, 2009 at 10:36 am
(11) Jen says:

My favorite pair for stiching are my Gingher Liontail scissors. I also have a pair of folding ones for car trips and a pair of DMC that I picked up to keep at work.

September 23, 2009 at 10:52 am
(12) Marcia says:

I am the proud owner of WISS left hand, regular, and pinking. I’ve had them since the early 80s. I also have a pair of their embroidery scissors. They are sharpened from time to time.

The pinking scissors are seldom used anymore, but are a treasured gift. I will use them today for a child’s sewing project I am making, size 12 months. I am adding a fabric ruffle to a little pre-made skirt. Not just any ruffle, but University of Georgia fabric.

These scissors are dedicated to fabric only. The regular pair lives at the ironing board. The left hand is beside the sewing machine.

September 23, 2009 at 11:00 am
(13) Trina says:

I don’t have a preference overall for scissors. I use scissors to match my project. I love the Fiskars micro tips for close trimming of threads and fabric in both needlework and sewing. For heavier work, I prefer the Gingher scissors for the weight and the way they handle. I have 6 pair of Ginghers – buttonhole, applique, craft, small craft, dressmaker plain, dressmaker serrated. Each is appropriate for different tasks. I have my Fiskars easy grip/cut pair (not sure of the name) for heavy cutting or long periods of cutting. I also have Wiss, Mundial, and some other brands. As with any tool, scissors must match the project.

September 23, 2009 at 11:04 am
(14) dmmk says:

I like the Fiskars that I received as a Christmas gift many many years ago for cutting fabric. They have never been used for cutting anything BUT fabric, and they get sharpened once a year. My embroidery scissors are DMC, but I also have a pair of antique embroidery scissors that my mother gave me when I was learning to embroider when I was a small child. They don’t get used very often. I also like Cutter Bee craft scissors as they have VERY sharp points and are great for unpicking. I also have a pair of unpicking scissors.

I’ve been a licensed hairdresser for 25 years, even though I no longer cut hair for money. My favorite hair cutting shears are a pair of Hikari’s that my brother bought for me several years ago. They are made from the same steel that samurai blades are made from, and hold an edge better than any other shear I’ve ever used. No matter what brand or type of scissor or shear I use, I have historically have had them all sharpened regularly by a professional shear sharpener who uses a high pressure water method. I’ve never been disappointed. I regularly use the pinking shears that my mother used to make clothes for all ten of her children when we were growing up.

September 23, 2009 at 11:24 am
(15) Iltcrft says:

I like both Wiss and Gingher. A friend got me using Wiss and really like them and then I got a great deal on some small Gingher that I use for knitting. They fit in my supply bag really nice.

September 23, 2009 at 11:46 am
(16) Keli says:

Hi, when I got back into cross stitch I bought Gingham of which I lost on one of my trips. Now I have a Titanium Fine Cut Scissors 2-1/2″ from Wal Mart for travel and I bought a pair from by Kelmscott Designs for home. Not sure if I like them as well as my lost Gingham

September 23, 2009 at 11:48 am
(17) Tina Barnes says:

Well a friend of mine years ago worked at the hospital handed me a pair of scissors they use to do your stitches in when you need stitches. I had recently spent a month in hospital with my 8 yr old almost died on us and the nurse used a pair of scissors and left them of course I snatch them up to use for my cross stitching so I am a hospital scissor person lol.

September 23, 2009 at 11:57 am
(18) Gail says:

I use whatever is handy and cuts!!

September 23, 2009 at 12:50 pm
(19) Lee says:

Tooltron. Much, much less expensive than — and every bit as good as — Gingher.

September 23, 2009 at 1:53 pm
(20) Valerie Horton says:

I use gingher for embrodery and fiskar for just about everything else.

September 23, 2009 at 1:58 pm
(21) susan says:

I prefer Gingher, they have the sharpest edge and tips. Also, you can send them back to Gingher and have them sharpen and they are just like new.

September 23, 2009 at 1:59 pm
(22) gayle says:

I use whatever’s handy.

September 23, 2009 at 2:08 pm
(23) Debbie says:

I discovered Gingher Brand and I never looked back!
I have them for Cross Stitch and for cutting Fabric. I love
the Beautiful Decortive handles. A friend of mine collects them.

September 23, 2009 at 2:59 pm
(24) Jean says:

I have a pair of WISS, I bought from an 80 year old friend that said” she couldn’t see to sew any more.” Their real heavy and cut perfectly. Their pinking shears. I also have some fiskers, DMC for embroidery, and some Redken RDA 2001 for cutting my hair and 2 pair of nursing scissors Nightingail stainless steel for pakistan. I also have several off brands the cut well. I love my scissors

September 23, 2009 at 4:10 pm
(25) Linda says:

ToolTron
Marks

September 23, 2009 at 4:11 pm
(26) sandia says:

I have a pair of stainless steel from Pakistan that I bought over 30 years ago…have never seen a pair just like them since…they have the one blade with the stitch ripper and one regular blade. They are lightweight enough to carry with you, but have been extrememly strong and reliable…They don’t have a brand name on them. Does anyone know where to buy them now?

September 23, 2009 at 5:43 pm
(27) Christy says:

I have two pair of small scissors I’ve been using forever – more than 25 years. One is Fiskars and the other (my favorite) is Susan Bates. I don’t know if Susan Bates is even around anymore. They’re still the best scissors I’ve ever had!

September 23, 2009 at 6:31 pm
(28) Susan says:

I use Fiskars most of the time, but the ones I have aren’t quite delicate enough for the hardanger I’ve been doing lately. But more important, I keep a Fiskars scissors sharpener right by the scissors and I use it regularly. It’s amazing what a difference it makes. It’s easy to use and doesn’t take up much space. Everybody should have at least one.

September 23, 2009 at 6:50 pm
(29) Carmen Villaronte says:

i used any thing that is available and sharp

September 23, 2009 at 6:58 pm
(30) Arlene From Sarasota says:

Dovo is best of all. Very sharp, great fine points and they have a left handed 3″ sissor.

September 23, 2009 at 9:19 pm
(31) Shirley says:

I use Gingher ‘stork’ scissors for my cross stitch work.

September 24, 2009 at 1:47 am
(32) Lorraine says:

I use Fiskers. I like the pointy ones.

September 24, 2009 at 6:14 am
(33) linda s says:

dovo all the way. have dozens of them..

September 24, 2009 at 9:02 am
(34) Lynn Cooper says:

I have used only Gingher for 20+ years. I have tried others, but always go back to Gingher.

September 25, 2009 at 11:13 am
(35) M Gray says:

To #26 Sandia, I have a pair of those which I bought at Hancock Fabric a couple of years ago and I also use Westcott Titanium and DuraSharp which are both very comfortable to use.

September 26, 2009 at 11:53 am
(36) csdiva says:

Marks (now Mundial and not quite as good as Marks), not as good as more expensive scissors for normal sewing and craft needs, but definitely the best for extremely heavy us.

I sold fabric and we tried all the brands and Marks were the only ones that stood up to the heavy every day work out and heavy fabric and vinyl and stayed sharp to still cut delicate fabric.

September 30, 2009 at 11:18 am
(37) Joyce Pinkham says:

I started cross stitch in 2001 and was using any type of scissors and then my daughter got me a pair of pewter Gingher and I love them and use them all the time.

March 3, 2010 at 10:37 am
(38) Eva says:

I have found through trial and error after trying a plethora of brands that I prefer Westcott Titanium bonded scissors and also KAI Brand scissors for my sewing needs. Also I must mention a pair of Fiskar spring assisted scissors which have also performed admirably over the years. My opinion on this is based upon comfort and cutting performance as well as how often they need to be sharpened which if they need sharpened constantly it can be a bit of a hassle! So I prefer scissors which will cut consistently and will cut for a while between sharpenings! These brands I mentioned have performed the best for me out of the many I have tried! Thank You! Good Luck!