1. Home

Free Emerald Sampler Collection

By May 4, 2012

My great Grandmother's name was Bertha Emerald. What a juxtaposition of names! One so plain and the other so sparkly. She named my grandmother Jewel Gartrelle. She put her daughter's sparkly right out there in front.

Free Emerald Sampler ChartDesign © Connie G. Barwick
I plan to stitch the free Emerald Sampler pattern in vibrant green floss, so I decided to name it after my Grand Grandmother - her sparkly name, not the plain one.

I never thought to ask my Grandmother Jewel if her mom went by Bertha or Emerald. I didn't broach the subject with her because her mom died when she was a young girl and I didn't want to cause her to rehash painful memories.

What's in a name? My first name is, of course, Connie. Pretty simple, although people call me Carol a lot for some reason instead. My middle name is Daline. Not Darline which is invariably how someone ends up pronouncing it. It is pronounced Dah - lean. It drives me crazy when someone misreads it.

How has your name affected you? If you could design and name a pattern in some one's honor who would you select? Tell us about it in the comments section below.

Stay up-to-date with when new free patterns and articles are added to About.com Cross Stitch. Subscribe to the About.com Cross Stitch Newsletter today.

Comments

May 8, 2012 at 10:42 am
(1) Lynda says:

My grandmother’s name was Anna Wilhemmena, which she hated, but I always picture her name in herringbone stitch! Maybe one day I will chart it…I love all your charts. Thank you for such a wonderful website!

Lynda

May 8, 2012 at 10:52 am
(2) Raquel says:

Ever since I was little, everyone has always had a hard time pronouning my first name Raquel. I always have to tell them it is just like the actress Raquel Welch. My mom always thought that she was so beautiful that I was named after her and also Annette Funciello (Annette is my middle name). In highschool my English teacher hated to pronouce my name so he just started calling me Rocky (I have a very old Itailian maiden name) and it just stuck. I finally gave up on the constant correction and just tell people to call me Rocky. It is just easier and I dont have to hear all the weird ways that they pronouce it.
If I could design something I would have to go with light blue and gold french theme. Or maybe something simular to the old antique Bohemian Glass.

May 8, 2012 at 11:18 am
(3) Nancy says:

I know some people say they hate their name. I never have. I really love my name – Nancy Marie. The Nancy is after the Frank Sinatra song, “Nancy with the Laughing Face.” My father loved that song. The Marie is after my mother, Mary. Nancy Marie just sounded better than Nancy Mary.

I have always loved the name Emerald Jade. I would like to have named one of my daughters that, but, my husband wouldn’t go for it. One day, when I get a puppy, I think I will use the name then.

May 8, 2012 at 3:50 pm
(4) Wynne Lewis says:

I have always liked my name, even if I have to explain it. Then, hopefully (more often than not) it stays in people’s minds. It is derived from Welsh, and means “fair” or “white”. Living in the Northwest, that is certainly accurate. As far as what project to do, I don’t know yet.

May 8, 2012 at 6:42 pm
(5) Laurene says:

My name is always mispronounced, sometimes as Laurence. Yes, I used to find it annoying and wouldn’t even answer when it was Laurence. It does have an advantage though. All my friends and family call me Laurie, so when someone calls asking for Laurene, I know it’s either a business or sales call.

May 10, 2012 at 4:17 pm
(6) Leah says:

My name is Melia but I never liked it when I was younger and in school. All the teachers pronounced it like Amelia (Earhart) without the A. Now it seems a lot of people pronounce it correctly (probably because of the presidents’ daughter Malia). I love both my grandmothers’ (maternal & paternal) names : Rozella Lydia and Audrey. My cousin named her baby Ella Rose (Rozella) which I love too.