The star stitch, also known as a couched cross stitch, is an easy variation of the cross stitch
Time Required: varies
- Thread a needle with a short length of floss. Stitch a half stitch.
- Stitch a second half stitch, completing a cross stitch.
- Stitch a horizontal straight stitch across the cross stitch, creating a star stitch, also known as a couched cross stitch. Be sure to bring your needle up exactly halfway between the legs of the cross stitch, in the same place on each side.
- Practice the stitch until you are comfortable stitching it. This stitch is great for creating stars in small designs, as a border embellishment, or as a way to enhance any simple cross stitch design.
- This stitch will have a better appearance on Aida fabric if it is stitched over two or more squares of fabric.
- Need help? Get it in the About.com Cross Stitch Forum. Become a part of a world-wide stitching community.
- Stay up-to-date with when new tutorials, articles, and patterns are added to About.com Cross Stitch. Sign up for the free newsletter today.
What You Need