A Smyrna Cross Stitch is composed of a cross stitch and an upright cross stitch. On Aida fabric this stitch will look better if it is stitched over two squares.
Time Required: Varies with Stitching Skill
- Begin the Smyrna cross stitch by stitching a half stitch.
- Stitch a second half stitch to form a cross stitch.
- Stitch the first leg of an upright cross stitch.
- Stitch the second leg of the upright cross stitch to complete the Smyrna cross stitch.
- Variation: Stitch the Smyrna cross stitch in a single color, or stitch the cross stitch in one color and the upright cross stitch in a complimentary or contrasting color.
- As noted above, on Aida fabric this stitch will look better if it is stitched over two squares.
- Need help? Get it in the About.com Cross Stitch Forum. Become a part of a world-wide stitching community.
- Stay up-to-date with when new tutorials, articles, and patterns are added to About.com Cross Stitch. Sign up for the free newsletter today.