Learn to stitch an upright cross stitch. This stitch may be stitched individually or overlaid with a cross stitch to form a Smyrna cross stitch.
Time Required: Varies with Stitching Skill
- Note: When stitching this stitch on Aida fabric it is best to stitch it over two squares. Otherwise the stitch will tend to fade into the weave of the fabric.
Begin the stitch by bringing the needle up through the fabric at 1.
- Complete the first leg of the upright cross stitch by taking the floss down at point 2.
- The second leg of the upright cross stitch begins at point 3.
- Complete the second leg by taking the floss down at point 4.
- Continue to stitch upright cross stitches until you have mastered the stitch. The stitches may be stitched in columns or rows. Complete each stitch before beginning the next upright cross stitch.
- As mentioned above, on Aida fabric, it is best to stitch an upright cross stitch over two squares. Otherwise the stitch will tend to fade into the weave of the fabric.
- Need help? Get it in the About.com Cross Stitch Forum. Become a part of a world-wide stitching community.
- Stay up-to-date with when new tutorials, articles, and patterns are added to About.com Cross Stitch. Sign up for the free newsletter today.