For this project you will need:
- Paper Clip Dish or other small container
- Small Cross Stitch Design
- Ribbon or Trim (optional)
- Hot Glue Gun
- Glue Sticks
- Gather your supplies. Select a small cross stitch pattern and stitch it on Aida fabric or plastic canvas. Be sure that the finished design size of the pattern will fit on the side of the clip dish.
- Prepare the clip dish. If you are adding trim to the dish, use hot glue or a strong bonding craft-glue to attach it to the dish. I used a white trim on the top and bottom rim of the clip dish. You may want to add a ring of ribbon to the center of your dish.
- Trim the design to the size desired. I wanted a vivid color combination to brighten up my desk, so I stitched the free Mini Heart A Cross Stitch pattern on 14-count plastic canvas with DMC Light Effects E990 and then whip-stitched the edges with DMC 758 perle cotton floss.
- Determine exactly where you will place your stitched design, then use hot glue to affix your design to the side of the clip dish.
- Remove any hot glue "strings" from the project. Fill the dish with candy (or paper clips).
- Wrap the dish with cellophane or clear plastic wrap and tie a ribbon around it if you are giving it as a gift.
- If you stitch your design on fabric, you may want to use a little fabric stiffener to make the fabric easier to apply to the dish.
- For pattern ideas for this project, see the Free Cross Stitch Pattern Index.
- Need help? Get it in the About.com Cross Stitch Forum. Become a part of a world-wide stitching community.
- Stay up-to-date with when new tutorials, articles, and patterns are added to About.com Cross Stitch. Sign up for the free newsletter today.