Free Cross Stitch Patterns and Projects
- Free Cross Stitch Patterns
- Cross Stitch Patterns by Themes
- Back Stitch Patterns
- Bookmark Patterns
- Sampler and Saying Patterns
- Specialty Stitch Patterns
- Featured Free Cross Stitch Patterns
- Cross Stitch Projects
- Cross Stitch Designers
- Cross Stitch Resources
- Creating Patterns
- Stitch Diagrams
Free Cross Stitch Patterns
Free Cross Stitch patterns allow new stitchers to practice skills and offer the opportunity for more advanced stitchers to learn new stitches. If you stitch one of the free patterns, please be sure to submit a photo of the project for the About.com Cross Stitch Photo Album.
- Free Cross Stitch Patterns A-Z Index
- Stitched Models of Free Patterns
- View and Share Cross Stitch Project Photos
Cross Stitch Patterns by Themes
Most of these patterns are whole cross stitch and back stitch. I have thrown in a few simple specialty stitches too - links to tutorials are included for each pattern.
- Christmas Cross Stitch Charts
- Baby-Themed Cross Stitch Graphs
- Halloween Cross Stitch Patterns
- Easter Cross Stitch Charts
Back Stitch Patterns
Back Stitch is one of the five basic stitches used in Cross Stitch. Many stitchers enjoy stitching patterns that are comprised totally of back stitch.
- More Complex Back Stitch Patterns
- Quick-to-Stitch Back Stitch Patterns
- Nine-Square Back Stitch Sampler
Tuck a special bookmark into a book for a personal touch on a great gift. You can never have too many books or bookmarks! Personalize a bookmark with a name or initials for a child and introduce them to your favorite book or author.
- Beach Read Bookmark Chart
- Band Sampler Bookmark Pattern
- Friendship Saying Bookmark Graph
- Bodice Ripper Bookmark Pattern
- Tea Cup and Books Bookmark
- Madeleine L'Engle Hope Quote
- More Free Bookmark Patterns
- Featured Free Bookmark Patterns - Free from Various Sites
- Make Your Own Bookmark
Sampler and Saying Patterns
Samplers are a traditional form of embroidery. In times long past stitchers created them to learn and practice stitches and preserve traditional motifs. Today stitchers can participate in the embroidery form by stitching samplers based on traditional themes. Some designers create variations on these traditional themes for fun and unusual designs.
- Alphabet Sampler Patterns
- Alphabet Block Sampler Pattern
- Heart Border Sampler Pattern
- Leaning Alphabet Sampler Pattern
- Monthly Mini Sampler Pattern
- A Penny Saved Saying Pattern
- Always Your Child Saying Pattern
- An Apple a Day Sampler Pattern
- Shakespeare Saying Pattern - Saying from the Tempest
- Small Sayings Patterns
Specialty Stitch Patterns
Specialty stitches from cross stitch variations to hand embroidery stitches are often used to embellish Cross Stitch embroidery. These patterns offer practice with various stitches. Links to tutorials for each stitch are included in the pattern description.
- Candlewicking Patterns
- Hardanger Embroidery Patterns
- Chicken Scratch Embroidery Patterns
- Punchneedle Patterns
Featured Free Cross Stitch Patterns
- Free Bookmark Patterns - From Various Webstites
- Free Alphabet Patterns
- Free Baby-Themed Patterns
- Free Halloween Patterns
- Free Christmas Patterns
Cross Stitch Projects
Nothing is more satisfying than completing a stitchery project, unless it is finishing the project by framing it or making it functional. Learn how to make cards, pins, bracelets and more from Cross Stitch. Keeping a journal of Cross Stitch projects helps preserve memories and inspirations for projects.
- Keep a Stitching Journal
- Make a Cross Stitch Cuff Bracelet
- Cross Stitch Cards - Learn to Make Various Types
- Cross Stitch Candy Dish or Paper Clip Caddy
- Cross Stitch Treasure Box
Cross Stitch Designers
Learn more about your favorite designers and meet new designers as you read these profiles. Without these great designers, we would not have all the wonderful patterns we all love to stitch.
- Abby Rose Designs - Gayle Reger Cross Stitch Designer
- Brittercup Designs - Michelle M. Lash Cross Stitch Designer
- Celtic Obsessions - Cross Stitch Designs by Stephanie Flynn
- Cross My Heart Cross Stitch Designs
- S. P. INK Cross Stitch Designs - Roberta Belanger Designer
- Cross-Eyed Cricket - Cross Stitch Designs
- Dunmani Designs - Clair Coult Cross Stitch Designer
- Heartland House - Frank Lloyd Wright Designs and More
- Helga Mandl Designs - Croatian Cross Stitch Designs
- Kitty & Me Designs - Pamela Kellogg Cross Stitch Designer
- A Kitty Kats Original - Leah E. Backman Cross Stitch Designer
- Kooler Design Studios, Inc.
- OakHaven CS Designs - Tonia Pappan Cross Stitch Designer
- Permin of Copenhagen - Danish Art Needlework
- Seguin Designs - Karen M. Hankla Cross Stitch Designer
- The Nutmeg Company - Meg Evershed Designer
- Thea Gouverneur - Cross Stitch Designer
- Told in a Garden - Designs by Marilyn Leavitt-Imblum
- Ursula Michael's Cross Stitch Designs
Cross Stitch Resources
Reviews of Cross Stitch books, leaflets and magazines. Preview a book or magazine before you purchase it. Offer your own feedback in the About.com Cross Stitch Forum. Cross Stitch Websites and Blogs are additional sources of Cross Stitch Information.
Adapt or create your own patterns using these handy resources.
Use these handy diagrams and tutorials to help with stitching Cross Stitch patterns and charts for embroidery styles related to Cross Stitch.