Stitch a cross stitch by following these simple steps.
Time Required: Varies
- Thread the needle with two strands of the floss cut to a length of about 12 inches. To begin the stitch, start with the needle behind the fabric. Bring the needle and floss up through a hole in one of the squares in the Aida fabric near the center of the piece of fabric. This hole is represented by 1 on the diagram.
- Insert the needle in the hole that lies diagonally from hole one as indicated by 2 on the diagram.
- Bring the needle back up through hole 3 - directly under hole 2.
- Complete the cross stitch by inserting the needle at 4.
- Flip to the back of the fabric. Secure the "tail" of the floss by pulling it under the thread.
- Practice stitching cross stitches until you feel comfortable with the stitch.
- Try stitching with a hoop.
- The floss should lay flat against the Aida fabric. As you practice, you will find the right amount of tension to place on the floss.
- Need help? Get it in the About.com Cross Stitch Forum. Become a part of a world-wide stitching community.
- Stay up-to-date with when new tutorials, articles, and patterns are added to About.com Cross Stitch. Sign up for the free newsletter today.